VOTERS EDUCATION CAMPAIGN (#WHENWEALLVOTE)
This shares a plan to educate 96k new voters in Ikeja Local Government, Lagos State between March 2021 and June 2021.
This project tagged #WhenWeAllVote will be entirely managed by YNAG. A non-partisan, volunteer-driven leadership initiative founded by Adetunji Adeniran.
In 2019 general elections, only 33% of registered and eligible voters participated in the voting exercise. This even got worse in sub-national elections where only 25% of registered voters showed up at the polls. While over 90% of eligible voters in Lagos are registered with INEC, less than 30% eventually voted in the last gubernatorial elections. When there is voter apathy and less participation, elections are prone to rigging and voter suppression.
This calls for more enlightenment and educating people on importance of voting.
Why we should vote?
Voting is personally costly. It takes time to register and to learn about the candidates and their views. On election day, you may need to leave work, stand in long lines or slog through harsh weather, knowing all the while that the chances your individual vote will make a difference among the thousands, millions cast, are pretty much zero.
In a democracy like Nigeria, elections are the processes to bring about the needed change in the society from grassroots to metropolis. This huge gap and disconnect need to be closed and for us at YNAG, we believe it is the civic responsibility of every citizen to actively participate in election processes.
Central Team: There will be a central team of Programs Manager, Project coordinator and Digital Marketing Associate who will oversee the successful execution of the plan.
Volunteers: We will recruit volunteers in each locality (ward). The volunteers will move from door to door, street to street to educate people on importance of participating in elections.
- Door to Door Education and Mobilization: Each volunteer will implement a door to door campaign to speak to eligible voters. We will create a database of these eligible voters and send occasional sms for further education and engagement.
- Media Engagement: We will partner with local media and leverage social media to create bring the messages to wider network especially professionals and businessmen.
- Educational Materials & Souvenirs: We will print flyers, posters to extend our visibility and get more people to learn about our messaging.
KEY PERFORMANCE METRICS
- Each volunteer will educate minimum of 1k people within the campaign period.
- We plan to reach 96k people directly and more than one million people through media.
DATE: May 15, 2021